Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Replies and NEWS

OK so I've been really slack about blogging due to my reunion with my better half and my general lack of free time due to my return to school. But here's a short one. I got two comments on my last post that I'd like to reply to:

lady of leisure said...

could you videotape one of the classes you teach? i would like to see it.

10 September, 2007 06:35


This isn't the kind of school that records lectures. They may have one recorder on campus somewhere. The focus at this school is way not on good teaching.

BernieFondue said...

For someone who is a full-time doctorate student, a TA and baseballholic, when do you find time to read? You have quite a long current reading list...

11 September, 2007 10:07


Oh, I never have time to read; that's why I have such a long reading list! I've gotten through about 40 pages of The Origin of Species in the past week or so that I've been reading it, in two sittings. I wish I had scads of time to read books for fun instead of articles for research. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to study literature.

OK that was fun. This morning I happened across a bit of news out of Russia. Seems they have tested the most powerful ever non-nuclear weapon in the history of ever. Bigger than anything we've created. If people are not concerned about our imminent resumption of cold war-era hostilities, they should start paying attention. Note in the article where it basically tells you that Russia can build up their military technology because oil prices are high. If you did not believe before that alternative energies were just about the most important thing for us to be focusing on, please believe it now. The real reason I linked to that story is because there is a hilarious paraphrase of a quote from a Russian official in it:
Unlike a nuclear weapon, the bomb doesn’t hurt the environment.

If that's not crazy, nobody has any hope for the future.

In other news, I'm thinking of starting another blog so I can feel even more high-and-mighty. I just wish I had time for it.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I don't understand why you would need a second blog. Can't you just blog here about whatever you would put in the second blog? Also, I didn't mean that NMT videotapes lectures, I thought you would have to do it yourself. You can borrow a video recorder and set it up in the back of the room. Or bribe one of your students to do it for you.