Thursday, January 24, 2008

OIC, it was ironic

OK, so this evening I watched Death Race 2000, a cult classic starring David Carradine (just after Kung Fu) and Sylvester Stallone (in the early stages of his career). This movie is the origin of the "point system" for running over people and things, where you score points for killing people based on their age and gender. Sounds off the wall, right? Well it was, sure.
However, it was also pretty terrible. If you like wooden dialog presentation, shallow writing, and lots of gratuitous female nudity, then perhaps this is the movie for you. I watched the brief "Looking Back" special feature that interviewed some of the people involved in the film (not anybody I had ever heard of), one of them referred to it as a "satirical ironic comedy." Like that's supposed to make it better. Look, Army of Darkness was a satirical ironic comedy, but it was actually well-conceived, unlike this movie. I want my 1.5 hours back.
The only redeeming quality of the movie is that I Netflix'd it, so it didn't cost me anything.

No comments: