Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The environment will thank us, part 3.

I arrived at school to this comment from KC (on my blogspot version) in reference to the last post:
yeah this sucks. I really liked your analogy to the homework questions. I read that Prius article either yesterday or the day before and the reviews of that and the Civic. I think now if it was my car I would lean toward the Prius, however Bernie doesn't like the look of it...
What kills both myself and my wife about the Prius is that there actually used to be a Prius that did not look so goofy. Check out the original, 2001 version of the Prius. It's no '67 Shelby GT500, but it looks a lot more like other cars on the road.

I of course cannot prove this, but the Prius is so goofy-looking because people want to project the image that they are doing something for the environment whenever they do so. If you had a car that looked like everybody else's, who would know and then, who would praise you? While I am happy that people are buying and driving hybrids, I really wish that they were doing so for the right reasons rather than for image. The hybrid Camry and Accord look normal, and people still buy those, so I of course may be wrong.

The solution, of course, is to live close to your work so you can bike or walk every day. Or take public transit (like Alison) or private vanpooling (like I do). As my good friend KG (not in SF) pointed out, people who buy a new Prius to replace their old car are wasting a lot of resources having a brand new car created. Our culture of disposability is one of the greatest problems facing us today, and getting new cars constantly (instead of retrofitting old ones) is not helping.

No comments: