Sunday, April 15, 2007

Golf

Sorry there haven't been any posts lately. I've been kind of down. So today the wife and I drove on up to the New Mexico Tech Golf Course. We don't really drive very much in town at all, but we decided not to walk the golf clubs all the way (1.25 miles each way) up to the course. I'll have to figure out a cheap way to put a trailer on my bike for them.
This was our first trip up to this golf course, and only the third time I've ever played. Those who have known me for a long time would probably be pretty surprised to find out that I am golfing, especially Matt, who I'm sure doesn't read this blog anyway (Hi!). We got tired and quit after 13 holes, plus it was already 5:30 anyway.
This being only my third time, I didn't do very well. My scores, and par for each hole:

Hole: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
 Par:  5 4 4 3 5 4 4 4 3  4  4  5  4
Matt: 8 7 7 5 8 9 6 7 7  8  6  8 11

So my total score over 13 holes was 97; extrapolated to 18 holes, I would have shot about 132. And we should keep in mind that I often took two shots off the tee, or tossed a ball from the rough into the fairway (or from out-of-bounds into the fairway, as the case often was). I don't know how much of this was not having Alison's dad or brother-in-law around, or how much of it was the 30-mph wind constantly blowing, or what. I think my score was worse than the last time I went.
It cost us about $30 to play here, which would be really cheap for a good course. The one here is very strange though, with very few sand traps (maybe the 30-mph winds blow all the sand out), lots of water, and more hills than anywhere ever. The last hole we played, the green was 50 feet higher than the rest of the fairway. Crazy.
Here, though, are some pictures of Alison golfing. Hooray! Note in the first picture the beautiful view of the mountains that we cannot access because they're covered with explosives. Note also in the second picture the giant dirt pile on the golf course. These two things pretty much encapsulate Socorro.


No comments: