Friday, May 4, 2007

Many things 3 (books)

I'm not sure how this happened, but I have finished three books over the past week. It probably has something to do with the fact that this was my last week of classes, and I was procrastinating more than usual.

First book: The Highwayman by R.A. Salvatore
This was a non-D&D book by my favorite D&D novel author. I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as his other books that I've read; I think that the author has become a little more sentimental over time. I have actually met him once or twice in the past, and he's a very nice guy. This book was definitely enjoyable, although the main character was a little over the top, both in his negatives and in his positives. One of those endings where everything you can hope for happened; in other words, not very realistic (I know, it's fantasy). This would definitely not cause me to stop buying and reading his books.

Second book: Stavrogin's Confession by Fyodor Dostoevsky
This book is actually a chapter that was removed from the 1872 Dostoevsky novel The Possessed (a.k.a. Demons) because it was way too racy for sensibilities of the day and age. It was very interesting, and reminded me why Dostoevsky is one of my all-time favorite authors (probably #2 behind Mister John Ronald Reuel Tolkien). I only wish I had read it in the context of the original book; once I am through my current long reading list I will be sure to go back and reread this one with the omitted chapter in its intended place.

Third book: Westmark by Lloyd Alexander
This is the first book in the Westmark Trilogy, a fantasy trilogy that is written toward young adults. This author also wrote the Prydain Chronicles, a series of five books that are written for children; Disney made a movie and Sierra a computer game from The Black Cauldron that you may have heard of. I read this trilogy when I was in middle school. I also reread the Prydain Chronicles a few years ago and found them very childish, more so than I had remembered. I was struck, rereading Westmark on how the language was accessible to my adultitude; the writing was not bothersomely below me age-wise. I definitely recommend these book, which I think a lot of people have not heard of.

Next, I move on to the other two books of the trilogy, which also shouldn't take me long. These books make me want to keep reading all the time. Then it's on to a little bit of Dick.

2 comments:

Alison said...

You like fantasy better than your real-life wife :(

Karen said...

Did you get Children of Hurin yet???