Friday, July 20, 2007

Beer + baseball = tonight

Tonight I continued Social Week by going to TWO different activities.
1) Arun and I headed up to Rio Rancho (and met SB there), which is much further away than should be expected, to attend the 2007 IPA Challenge, put on by the New Mexico Brewers' Guild and hosted here at Turtle Mountain Brewing Company taproom. It was an event where you pay $15 admission and get 3-ounce samples of 8 different beers, then when you cast your vote for your favorite you get a commemorative glass filled with that beer. I would have been more excited if I liked IPAs, but it was still fun. I found out just now that my vote went for the Santa Fe Pale Ale produced by the Santa Fe Brewing Company. Of course, it was a blind taste test, so I only know due to the polling results up on the Brewers' Guild website.
2) After the beer challenge, Arun and I headed down to the Isotopes-Royals game, the last of a four-game set. We were super late unfortunately, for which I feel badly. We met BT and friend there when we finally arrived around the 6th inning. To be fair, of course, this game moved pretty fast; when Arun and I went to the game on Monday, it took a whole hour to get through the first two innings. If that'd happened last night, we would have probably arrived in the fourth inning.
The Isotopes ended up winning 5-1, although the Royals loaded the bases and got the tying run to the plate in the top of the ninth before the game ended. It was exciting (what of it we saw), and I'm very glad that I got to a whopping three of the four games in this set. I never get to see my hometown team so it was a nice time, even though the Royals lost three of the four. No more baseball and money-spending for some time to come, hopefully.

Note: In case you're keeping track, the relations now stand at:
0.5*Awesome - 0.5*Stupid = Tonight - Beer
Stupid + 2*Tonight - 2*Beer = Awesome
Beer = Stupid
I am not sure how I feel about this any more.

No comments: