Thursday, July 19, 2007

Media gamut

Last night the Wahi came over for some beer, pizza, and a movie. Pizza from Golden Crown Panaderia across the street. The following beers were consumed:
- Industrial Pale Ale by Electric Brewing Company of Bisbee, AZ
- Dave's Electric by Electric Brewing Company of Bisbee, AZ
- Dirty Guera (Blonde) by Nimbus Brewing Company of Tucson, AZ (two of these were drunk)
- Blue Moon by Coors Brewing of Golden, CO
The movie was entitled Pom Poko, an anime from Studio Ghibli. I have wanted to see this for a long time, and opted to stick it down toward the end of my Netflix queue, so that Alison would not be subjected. Glad I did. The movie was pretty OK, but the huge draw was the role that the Tanukis' testicles play in the movie. I don't know how to explain it; read the wikipedia article above about it. It was not funny enough to be a straight-up comedy, but contained far too much Tanuki ball to be a children's movie in the States.

Also last night I finished Oliver Twist. Despite its length (466 pages), I was able to stay interested and engaged in the story the whole time. My first Dickens book, and I reckon I will read more in the future. Now my current book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which will arrive on my doorstep in two days! I am opting not to start the next book, since I doubt I could get through it in that time, and I don't want to take a break partway through.

No comments: