Monday, June 18, 2007

Book Report

So I finished Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick last Friday on the van ride up to the Burque. It was a very impressive book, and only the second novel I've ever read by him (the first being Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the book on which the great movie Blade Runner is loosely based). By far the majority of stuff I've read by him consists of short stories (a book of which I have started next). It's interesting to see the contrast between his short fiction, which does not need to carry a focus for very long, and his novels, which suffer a little from his inability to do so. Part of the problem may also be that he was such a prolific writer that he could never spend much time on anything. Just speculation. Great book, and I would highly recommend it. Very trippy.
Anybody keeping track might notice that I have now taken seven books off my reading list since its inception a while back, and I'm down to 12. Of course, a bunch of the remaining books are very long, but maybe I'll get through my list this year and not have a stack of books waiting; I can't remember the last time I was in that situation. This will all be complicated by the upcoming release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which will likely be the greatest book ever written, and after which I can give up reading words rather than be in a constant state of disappointment. Seriously though, I don't know of any other book that could be released that would supersede my list; I will read it as soon as I can get my hothands on it.
Reading another Dick book, aside from allowing for all kinds of Dick jokes shared with a good friend of mine, always gets me thinking about how anonymous this guy is. He wrote more than 45 novels, and about 121 short stories during a writing career that spanned from 1953 to 1982, when he died at age 53. He won the Hugo Award in 1963 for Man in the High Castle, and also won the John W. Campbell Memorial Award in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said (which I just read). With the most recent release, 9 of his stories have been turned into movies:
Blade Runner - 1982 - Novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Total Recall - 1990 - Story "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale"
Confessions d'un Barjo - 1992 - Novel Confessions of a Crap Artist
Screamers - 1995 - Story "Second Variety"
Impostor - 2002 - Story "The Impostor"
Minority Report - 2002 - Story "Minority Report"
Paycheck - 2003 - Story "Paycheck"
A Scanner Darkly - 2006 - Novel A Scanner Darkly
Next - 2007 - Story "The Golden Man"
While that's no Stephen King kind of number, it's still pretty impressive. Take a gander at this guy's stuff if you never have.
Internet tomorrow maybe! How exciting!

Edit on 6/19 (yes I have internet now):
Re: comment
Pff, presence in the Library of America catalog doesn't dispel anonymity. I mean, who's ever heard of Samuel Menashe or Abraham Lincoln?

1 comment:

Alison said...

You're never anonymous when you make it into the Library of America or whatever that thing is.