Saturday, June 30, 2007

The REI stampede

So today was the Scratch-n-Dent sale at the REI. Started at 9am, but the flyer says "Come early & form a line". Unfortunately, I couldn't find a photo of the Albuquerque REI that fully shows the layout. I got there at 8:55, and there was a line all the way around the building and down the sidewalk outside. They opened the sale at 9, and it probably took 10 minutes for my spot in line to wind into the sale. When I got in, I descended into a pit of anger, sweat, and mistrust. I was in the sale for half an hour wandering around, and bought four things: a folding table that was missing a pretty integral part, some gaiters from Outdoor Research that are missing a metal hook, a pair of socks that are too small, and a pair of pretty well-used trekking poles from REI that had a strap broken; that one I fixed. Ended up costing me $40.
It was a really strange experience. There must have been a couple hundred people in there, in a real small area. They had bins of stuff that you couldn't even get to because there were so many people crowded around. And there were a lot of people who seemed to be buying several of something; four thermarests, five pairs of shoes, etc. Pretty sure those'll be up on E-bay soon.
There's more sale tomorrow, but I've got the big wedding to go to tomorrow, which should be really exciting. I'll give a report.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Whose wedding are you going to? There are major sales going on in Geneva this week, I plan to check out the outdoor store today.